October is here and apple season is truly in full swing! With Halloween just around the corner we think it’s the perfect time to make some delicious, fun treats with the family, so how about some toffee apples?
Our easy toffee apple recipe is great fun to make and simple so that everyone can join in. This recipe will make 15 toffee apples that can be shared with family and eaten on Halloween or bonfire night.
Toffee Apple Ingredients
- 15 small apples
- 15 lolly sticks or wooden skewers
- 3 cups of golden caster sugar
- 1 cup of water
- 1 tsp of vinegar
- (Optional) 2-3 drops red food colouring
- (Optional) 4 tbsp golden syrup
Homemade Toffee Apple Recipe
- Gather your apples together, removing all the stalks. Place the apples in a large bowl and cover with boiling water to remove any waxy coating.
- Push 1 wooden stick into the stalk end of each apple and place them on a large, lined baking tray. (They can be placed in the fridge to cool, ready for the toffee coating)
- Get a heavy base pan and add the sugar, water and vinegar. Stir until boiling and all the sugar has dissolved to create a sugar syrup, this will turn into toffee.
- Heat the toffee uncovered (without stirring) for approximately 20 minutes.
- Test if the toffee is ready and at the crack stage. To do this add a small amount to some cold water; if it’s ready, then it should form a hard, brittle ball. If it still feels soft, keep cooking the mixture.
- Remove the toffee from the heat adding in 2-3 drops of red colouring, working quickly stirring in..
- Next, after the bubbles subside, dip the apples into the toffee mixture, turning to allow excess to drip off.
- To set the toffee either dunk the apple into a bowl of cold water or alternatively, leave them sticks up on a piece of baking parchment paper.
Decorate your Toffee Apples
- Add a personal touch by decorating some cellophane ready to wrap them up.
- Try different food colouring to change the colour of your toffee
- Roll warm toffee apple in hundreds and thousands or even some chopped nuts for extra flavour and crunch!
Use your homegrown apples
This recipe is great fun to make, especially if you’re using your own apples from the garden. The best type of apple to use is a sweeter variety and we think our golden delicious apples are the perfect choice!
To send a fruit tree as a gift to loved ones check our collection of apple tree gifts. If you want trees for your own gardens see our range of apple trees for sale, we have plenty of varieties available.